Rotorua is set to get a host of international and national performers over the next few months, and one promoter is in talks to bring some big R&B; stars to the city as well.
From next week, the next couple of months will be a busy one on the city's music entertainment calendar.
New Zealand's Got Talent finalists J Geeks are hitting Rotorua as part of their Tu Meke Tour on Tuesday, before a big weekend of music in the city. On February 23 - the weekend of Te Matatini 2013 - there will be three music options for those in Rotorua. Ministry of Sound's General Lee will be at Heaven and Hell and there will also be two other shows - a concert called Uprising, featuring DJ Sir-Vere, Ardijah and 1818 at Arawa Park; and a Renee Geyer gig supported by top Kiwi performers at the Rotorua Civic Theatre.
Geyer, an Australian singer whose hits include It Only Happens, Heading In The Right Direction and Say I Love You, will perform at the Rotorua Civic Theatre, also on February 23, as part of her Say I Love You NZ 2013 tour. She will have a supporting line-up including Maisey Rika, Adeaze, Three Houses Down, New Zealand's Got Talent finalist Tawaroa Kawana and more.
In March and April, international reggae artist Spawnbreezie, Australian-based hip hop artist Fortafy, Kiwi artists Sons of Zion and DJs CXL and Deach will be performing at Rotorua's Heaven and Hell nightclub.
Heaven and Hell co-owner Pato Alvarez said he was working on bringing even more artists to Rotorua this year but he couldn't confirm them at this stage.
He was also looking at bringing international R&B; artists to Rotorua as well.
He couldn't reveal which artists but said he was in talks to bring three American R&B; singers to the city. He said he was working with Deach and the Illegal Musik crew.
"I like to bring entertainment to Rotorua, I want to supply people in Rotorua with good gigs," Mr Alvarez said.
He said this year he would have a focus on reggae, R&B; and hip hop acts because they seemed to do well in the city but assured fans he would be having dub-step and drum and bass gigs in Rotorua as well.
Many of the shows hosted at the bar since it opened have had an entry fee of between $5 and $15. Mr Alvarez said he wanted to provide residents with lots of entertainment options while also keeping prices affordable.
"I'm doing it the cheapest that I can."
Australian-based hip hop artist Fortafy said people often asked him via his social networking sites when he would come to Rotorua so he was looking forward to performing in the city as part of 14-venue tour in New Zealand.
"I'm looking forward to the whole tour, Rotorua especially."
Although he had visited Rotorua as a kid, having grown up in Auckland, his April gig would be his first in the city.
He said those who attended his Rotorua gig could expect a high-energy show. He was looking forward to meeting people he had interacted with through Twitter and Facebook and welcomed people picking his brain about his career.
- J Geeks Tu Meke Tour at Rotorua Convention Centre on February 19.
- Ministry of Sound's General Lee at Heaven and Hell on February 23.
- Renee Geyer live in Rotorua as part of her "Say I Love You" tour at the Rotorua Civic Theatre on February 23. She will be supported by Maisey Rika, Adeaze, Three Houses Down, NZ's Got Talent finalist Tawaroa Kawana and more.
- Uprising. Featuring Ardijah, 1814 and DJ Sir-Vere. The R-18 event will be at Arawa Park on Fenton St on February 23.
- DJ CXL at Heaven and Hell on March 9.
- The annual lakeside concert Lakeside 2013 - Come Together is on in Rotorua on March 9. The concert will include Ria Hall, Seth Haapu, Russell Harrison, Michael Murphy, Tina Cross, Jennifer Ward-Lealand, Eve Gordon, Mike Edwards and more.
- International reggae artist Spawnbreezie with support from Kiwi musician Swiss at Heaven and Hell on March 22.
- Australian hip hop artist Fortafy at Heaven and Hell on April 12.
- Kiwi reggae band Sons of Zion at Heaven and Hell in April (date to be confirmed).
- Deach - member of Kiwi hip hop band Smashproof and DJ - will do regular monthly gigs at Heaven and Hell.