Some of Te Arawa's best and brightest have been given a helping hand with their university studies, receiving Sir Howard Morrison Education Foundation Scholarships and Owen Glenn Scholarships totalling $65,000.
Scholarship presentations were made to 21 people to help them achieve their goals in the hope they will become future leaders and role models for other young Maori in education.
Eleven students were each awarded a Sir Howard Morrison Education Foundation Scholarship of $5000.
The scholarship were for those who had achieved an overall B+ grade average after a full year at university but all 11 recipients achieved an overall grade average of A or better.
A further 10 students received Owen Glenn Scholarships of $1000 each for students entering university for the first time and have not previously received other scholarships.
Recipient Taria Ngawhika, who is in her second year studying law and Maori studies at Auckland University, said she hoped to enter a profession which would help Maori in the region advance educationally in the long term.
Her mother Lana said the scholarship had helped immensely as university study was not cheap.
"We are extremely grateful for the scholarships and assistance they have given us," she said.
The Sir Howard Morrison scholarships are funded by benefactors John and Susan Amos, who contribute $50,000 annually to the scholarship fund, which began in 2004.
The remaining scholarships are funded by the Owen Glenn Family Foundation.
The awards ceremony was held at the Rotorua District Council last week with scholarships presented by Rotorua Mayor Kevin Winters.
"These scholarships help carry on Sir Howard's legacy by encouraging the future leaders of Te Arawa," Mr Winters said.
"It is very generous of Owen Glenn and the Amos family to fund these scholarships ... that make sure the name, reputation and mana of Sir Howard lives on in Rotorua."
Sir Howard Morrison Education Foundation Scholarships:
- Tai Stephens - Engineering - University of Auckland
- Hailey Houtham - Teaching - Waikato University
- Parewahaika Harris - Psychology - Waikato University
- Douglas Edwards - Physiotherapy - Otago University
- Angela Grant - Marketing - Auckland University
- Taria Ngawhika - Law and Maori Studies - Auckland University
- Aperahama Hurihanganui - Arts and Law - Waikato University
- Talei Morrison - Education - Waikato University
- Hilton Gibbons - Law - Waikato University
- Jade Westrupp - Medicine - Auckland University
Hayley Tipene - Teaching - Waikato University
* each recipient receives $5000 toward university study
Owen Glenn Scholarships:
- Waimarie Waaka - Maori Performing Arts - Te Whare Wananga o Awanuiarangi
- Tahangawari Tangitu-Huata - Arts - Waikato University
- Tipene Haira - Teaching - Waikato University
- Matene Simon - Arts - Massey University
- Jarrod Stanley - Physical Education - Otago University
- Kahutapeka Bennett-Tapsell - Psychology and English Literature - Waikato University
- Mamaeroa Merito - Medicine - Auckland University
- Eruera Bidios - Health Studies - Auckland University
- Turene Jones - Psychology, Theatre, Criminology - Victoria University
- Miriarangi Kapa - Medicine - Otago University
* each recipient receives $1000 toward university study